Safe use of display screen equipment
- Ensure the seat is at the correct height so the forearms are approx horizontal- 90 degree angle.
- Ensure your feet are flat on the floor when sat in the correct position.
- Ensure you adjust the seat back to provide good lumbar support.
- Ensure you use the back support.
- Ensure there are at least two finger widths between the edge of the seat and the back of your knee.
- Ensure you sit centrally in the chair and are not leaning to one side.
- Ensure there is room under the desk for your knees.
- Ensure the screen is positioned directly in front of you at a comfortable distance, approx one arms length away.
- Is the screen at the correct height, top of screen approx level with eyes?
- Have you adjusted the brightness and contrast controls?
- Ensure the screen is clean.
- Ensure the screen is not flickering.
- Ensure the screen is not tilted upwards towards the lights.
- Don't stretch to reach the keyboard.
- Keep your wrists straight when typing – not resting on the desk.
- Ensure there is space in the front of the keyboard to rest wrists during pauses.
- Ensure you don't lean forward when typing, sit back in the chair for support.
- Don't stretch to reach the mouse.
- Keep your wrist straight when using the mouse - not resting on the desk.
- Don't hold the mouse too tightly.
- Alternate the fingers you use to do mouse work.
- Ensure there are no obstructions under the desk.
- Ensure you sit in a place that has adequate lighting.