Additional support for care leavers, carers, mature students and students estranged from family

Our named advisers provide practical, financial and welfare advice to care leavers, carers, students estranged from family and mature students. This includes:

  • support with settling into university life and help to resolve any issues
  • regular newsletters by email about relevant opportunities, services and events
  • more in depth support and information via our blog
  • one-to-one advice about university life
  • referrals to university services and local partner organisations
Care Leavers

Nominated advisers can provide tailored information and guidance to students who have been looked after by a local authority during childhood - Find out more.

You are eligible for additional financial help and you might also be entitled to our care leaver bursary.


Students with caring responsibilities have dedicated advisers providing practical advice and supported referrals to university services and external organisations.

Carers in difficulty may be eligible for support from our Carers Emergency Travel Fund, as well as additional financial help.

Mature students

As a mature student you can get one-to-one advice and information. You can also mix with other students via the Mature Student's Society.

Download our booklet

Students with dependent children can also apply for the additional financial help.

Students estranged from family

Being 'estranged' means you're not on good terms with and have no contact with your family. We understand that coming to university without the support of a family can be particularly stressful. Speak to our dedicated advisers for guidance and support. Find out more.

You are also eligible to apply for additional financial help.

Initial Guidance Appointments

To book an Initial Guidance Appointment please contact Student Help via Student Support Services.

Related topics: 
Total votes: 351
How useful was this page?