Before, during and after your exam
Before your exam
- Check your timetable carefully and ensure you know the location of each venue
- Plan your route and ensure you allow enough time for travel
- Arrive 15 minutes before the start of the exam - we recommend 25 minutes for off-site venues
- Familiarise yourself with the Examination Conduct Policy and Academic Conduct Regulation
- Remember to visit the toilet before the start of the exam. Time for going to the toilet during an exam is very restricted.
- Make sure you have your SHUcard with you as ID
- You can bring a clear unlabelled bottle of water with you. If you bring anything else it will be taken from you and returned at the end of the exam
- Check the seating plan displayed outside the venue and sit at a desk allocated to your exam
- Leave all personal belongings, including coats, hats and scarves, in the designated area
- Switch off your mobile phone and any electronic devices
During your exam
You will be admitted to the venue by an invigilator shortly before your exam is due to start. Once admitted the Examination Regulations apply. Sit at a desk allocated to your exam and listen carefully to the instructions given by the invigilator. It is normal for Invigilators to move around the venue. They may also inspect any equipment / dictionaries / calculators which are on your desk.
- The exam paper. Check the title to make sure it is the exam paper you are expecting to sit
- Reading time. Use this time to read through the questions. You may write on your examination paper during reading time but not on any answer booklets/sheets. If you have any queries about any of the questions you should ask them during reading time. It can be difficult to give you an answer after this time.
- Toilet breaks. For 2 hour 10 minute and 3 hour 15 minute exams: only after the first 30 minutes and before the last 15 minutes of the exam. For 1 hour 10 minute exams: if you leave the exam you are not permitted to return.
- Announcements towards the end of exams. For all examinations there will only be one announcement 15 minutes before the end of the exam to let you know how much time is left.
After your exam
You must remain seated and silent at your desk until all scripts have been collected by the invigilator. Do not leave until instructed to do so. You must not remove any answer books or parts of an answer book, whether used or not, or any exam materials provided to you during your exam (statistical tables, data books, etc.) Collect your belongings. Lost items will be taken daily to main reception, Owen Building. Leave the venue quietly as there may be exams still taking place in adjacent venues.