Placement Year Information
Taking part in a placement year or sandwich placement has a huge impact on your career and time at Hallam. A placement year can impact you personally and professionally, and we offer you a lot of support to take advantage of this opportunity.
Getting a placement
Find a placement on UniHub
Tell us about a placement you have secured
Your placement support network:
- Your Academic Adviser will provide you with advice, as well as discussions related to your course and subject area.
- Your Employability Adviser will provide you with advice and support to help you find and secure a placement. They will also signpost you to a variety of activities to help you through the process.
- You have access to Careers Connect throughout your placement. This platform can help you with specialist advice, skills and activities to support your learning and development.
- Your Student Support Adviser will provide you with advice and guidance for pastoral issues.
- Employability Operations Team will check your placement is safe for you and process the necessary paperwork to validate this. They also support the advertisement of placements via Unihub.
- Sheffield Hallam Students’ Union is always there to support students through the Student Advice Centre.
- Course Teams will provide you with advice throughout every step of your placement. They may also offer activities, training and sessions to support and encourage you in the process.
Applied Professional Diploma (APDip)
During your placement you will be registered onto an Applied Professional Diploma (APDip). The award runs alongside your placement and will also be recognised by a separate certificate and transcript.
The award includes:
- An employer recognised award to celebrate the effort and achievement of your placement year
- A recognised course relevant reflective activity to enable you to review and reflect on your professional and personal development via a Synoptic Portfolio
- A specific academic staff member to supervise your placement and work through the Synoptic Portfolio with you. They will contact you and your employer throughout your placement to check on progress and signpost you to any additional support or guidance you may need. They will also validate your placement year & APDip by evaluating your Synoptic Portfolio
- Formal Hallam Certification of the Award
- Access to a bursary associated to your personal circumstances is available where appropriate