Assistive Technology group training sessions
DSS Technical services currently offer two Assistive Technology group training sessions to students who disclose a disability:
- Tuesdays and Thursdays at City Campus. The sessions will run from 3pm - 4pm. Following this, a further 30 minutes will be available for individual follow up or questions.
- Fridays at Collegiate Crescent the sessions will run from 1pm - 2pm. Following this, a further 30 minutes will be available for individual follow up or questions.
Book a session
You will only be able to see and book session if you have disclosed a disability. If you have not yet done so, please register on My Student Record
An introduction to the text to speech software available on the university network. The session will cover how this software can be used to support you with proofreading, reading, and collating research. The session will take you through the following:
- How to access Read and Write at SHU
- Use of Read and Write software for reading back course material.
- Use of Read and Write for proofreading your own work.
- Use of Read and Write to collate research
An introduction to the mind mapping software available on the university network. The session will cover can be used to support students in planning and structuring essays and coursework
- How to access Mindview at SHU
- Exploring the Features of Mindview with an emphasis on assignment planning
- How to access Inspiration at SHU
- Using Inspiration to gather and effectively organise ideas in work planning