Support for disabled students on work placements

If you are going on a paid placement you become an employee and support is provided by Access to Work and not by the University.

Your learning contract is an internal SHU document and it won't be shared with placement providers without your consent. Learning contracts do not include any recommendations about the support that you should receive whilst you are on your placement.

You should discuss your support needs as soon as possible with the person organising placements on your course. It is up to you to decide whether or not to tell your placement provider about your condition and how it affects you. If you do tell them then they have a legal obligation under the Equality Act (2010) to make reasonable adjustments for you. It is a good idea to disclose your support needs to your placement provider, especially if you think you cannot manage without support on placement.

Advice and guidance

Total votes: 263
How useful was this page?