Do I need insurance to study abroad?

The University provides students with insurance for medical cover and cancellation. Before commencing your journey you should complete the travel insurance request form below and return it to the University's Insurance Officer. Please note you may still need to take out possessions insurance unless this is already provided (for example contents cover on your student accommodation contract).

Students who are travelling to Europe are advised to apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You will need to download theĀ EHIC application form and return it to the NHS Business Services Authority, which processes all applications. More information can be found on theĀ NHS website. The EHIC does not mitigate the need for insurance, but in the event of a medical incident you may not have to pay some of the excess on your insurance policy.

Students travelling to some destinations such as the US and Canada may need additional insurance before they can apply for their visas. Please check the relevant embassy's website for further guidance.

Total votes: 318
How useful was this page?