Advertising on University TV screens
The University has a number of plasma screens across both campuses which you can use to advertise events or activities. Please read these guidelines before you make a request:
- Screens are updated twice weekly on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Slides should be submitted at least one week in advance
- We will not accept slides sent the day before an event
- There is a limit of 30 slides on the plasma screens at any one time
- The maximum duration for slides to be displayed is two weeks
- Requests can be made to relist slides and a decision will be made on when the message will appear (depending on timescales and the number of messages currently on screen)
- Priority will be given to upcoming dated events (eg, an Open day in a week's time) over recurring events (eg, Writing workshops every Thursday) or events which are more than 2 months away.
If your slide is to advertise an event or activity it should include the name of the event, the time, date and location, a brief description (10-12 words), and a more information contact number or email.
Due to the high volume of submissions, we are not able to email every person who has submitted a slide. If you receive a confirmation email upon submission and your slide follows these guidelines, then it will be posted the next coming Tuesday or Thursday.
Slide design and format
Slides must be either PowerPoint slides or jpgs in landscape format to best fit on the screens. For PowerPoint slides the page setup should be On-screen Show (16:9) and for jpgs the size should be 1920 x 1080 pixels. Branded templates are available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The plasma screens can display video content, however audio is not available so please provide subtitles if necessary. Videos should be submitted in an .avi or .mov format and must not exceed 1gb in size or be longer than 2 minutes in length.
Period of display
If you are submitting a slide to advertise an event or activity please send your slide at least 5-10 days before the event. All slides will run for a two week period to avoid congesting the playlist and keep running time to a minimum. You can request to relist your slide, however a decision will be made on when the message will appear (depending on timescales and the number of messages currently on screen). Slides can be targeted to display in specific buildings and specific screens on request given appropriate notice.
Tips for producing a good slide
The plasma screens target a passive, pedestrian audience, not a captive one. Few viewers stop to watch the screens, so your message should be short and to the point.
- Use a 12-hour clock and am and pm. (eg, 10am - 5pm)
- Check appropriate permissions for circulating the message have been sought
- Use appropriate images/photography, not clip art
Content do's and don'ts
Messages which can be displayed on the screens
- Urgent operational or University business-related messages
- Major University sponsored events hosted on University premises and Students' Union events - Varsity, SU elections
- Major University-led campaigns and other large-scale non-political campaigns - The National Student Survey
- Welcome messages for specific VIPs or visitors
- Information about graduation ceremonies
- University services and activities for students - Medical centre, Student Finance, Accommodation etc
- Exhibitions which are hosted on University premises and open to students and staff
- Campaigns in conjunction with external organisations where the message is relevant to the majority of students and/or staff, eg Council road safety campaigns
We will not accept:
- Directional signage
- Personal adverts including goods or services, events or appeals by or for charity organisations unless they are working in partnership with the University or the Student Union
- Paid for or free advertising by individuals or organisations outside the University
- Promotion of student gigs, parties or club nights
- Promotion of student groups, societies or meetings
- Promotion of course work including charity events, temporary restaurants etc except where an exhibition is being staged with an open invitation to students and staff
- Promotion of a National Awareness Day eg World Health Day, unless there is an associated event at the University in which staff and/or students are invited to participate.
To make a request
Email your request to email@example.com. We reserve the right to edit any slide submitted to ensure it meets branding and corporate identity guidelines. Corporate Communications has the final decision on what will be displayed; if content is declined we will make every effort to suggest alternative communication channels.