Student Funding

If you are experiencing financial difficulties due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), information and useful links and can found here

    The Student Funding team provide information, advice and guidance relating to the funding you are eligible for and can provide you with suggestions and possible solutions which may help if you are having difficulties.

    If you’re having problems your first point of contact is Hallam Help who will be able to assist.

    If you require emergency financial support please contact Hallam Help who can put you in touch with someone who can help.

    International students who have funding or financial problems should seek advice from an International Experience Adviser. If you would like an appointment please contact Hallam Help.

    For information on when to expect your first student finance payment and a guide on how to check your student finance details on your online account, click the button below: Student Finance England

    A quick start finance guide taking you through your student finance journey step-by-step can be accessed by clicking the button below: SFE Quick Start Guide Button

    Student Funding

    Students sometimes have difficulty understanding the funding available or need help to deal with a complex funding issue. 

    We have advisers who can help support you.

    We offer the following appointments which students can book themselves:

    • Student Funding - 30 minute appointment (available at City and Collegiate.

    We also offer:

    • Student Funding Support appointment - 60 minutes (available at City and Collegiate)

    How do I access it?

    Alternative support

    Student Union Advice Centre

    If you are struggling with debt or need benefits or housing advice please contact the Students' Union Advice Centre.

    They also can support you with:

    • Student finance eligibility
    • Complaints and appeals to funding bodies
    • Academic appeals for rejected RRAAs, ACP outcomes and assessment results
    • Complaints about the university
    • Student finance compelling personal reasons
    • Disabled Student Allowance queries
    • Advice on RRAA and extension applications

    Money Worries

    If you are having difficulty managing your money you can access Blackbullion for free using your Sheffield Hallam email address to register. This is an easy to use online resource designed to develop your financial skills. If you'd prefer to speak to someone please contact Hallam Help to make an appointment.

    Personal wellbeing and mental health

    If worrying about money is having an impact on your mental health, the Student Wellbeing  service provides information and advice to support you.

    You can  download Martin Lewis’s free guide for everyone struggling with their finances and a mental health problem. It will provide useful resources whether you’re looking for advice for yourself or for someone you care about.

    If you need more direct help with your finances, there are a variety of free-to-use advice and support services with many advisers trained to help those with mental health problems.  Citizen’s AdviceStepchangeChristians Against PovertyNational Debtline and  Debt Support Trust can all help. You can also find practical advice and support for your mental health and money issues at  Mental Health and Money Advice


    If you are able to work whilst studying and would like a part time job the  Careers and Employability Service can help.


    Related topics: