What do I do if I have funding or financial problems?

International students in UK universities pay overseas fees rates. This is because subsidised fees, available from government funds, are only available to UK taxpayers and their families.

Students from EU and EEA countries and Switzerland pay UK fees rates. More information about loans and financial support for these students is available here.


International students pay a deposit when accepting a place at Sheffield Hallam, and half of their fees before enrolling. The second instalment is due in February for courses which start in September, or in September for courses starting in January.

If at any point while studying at Sheffield Hallam University you realise you may be unable to pay the remainder of tuition or accommodation fees, it is important that you seek advice as soon as possible. Contact either Student Finance or the Accommodation Office to discuss your situation. You should also book an appointment with your Faculty support officer, or come to see the International Experience Team.

Financial problems

If you start experiencing financial hardship due to an emergency or significant change in your circumstances you need to book an appointment with an International Adviser who will be able to offer advice on how to deal with the situation.

Funds for further study

There are very few sources of funding for international students but The British Council provides some information on scholarships in the UK.


Information about opening a bank account is provided during the International Orientation programme. If you have missed the event, please go to the Student Services Centre for further advice.

Total votes: 356
How useful was this page?