Information for Tier 4 students

Your responsibilities as a Tier 4 student

You must

  • regularly check your student (SHU) email account
  • respond to University emails, letters and phone calls quickly
  • keep your passport and visa up-to-date

You must inform the University if

  • your contact details change - for example, your phone number, address or email address - please update your details on My Student Record
  • you get a new passport or new Tier 4 visa / BRP card
  • you change your immigration status to a different visa type

You must inform UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) if

Do you need to register with the Police?

  • Certain nationalities must register with the Police urgently after arriving in the UK. If this applies to you, it will be stated on your visa letter.
  • If so, you must inform the Police within seven days if you change address or your immigration conditions change.

You must engage fully with your studies

  • You must attend all lectures, seminars and all other study sessions
  • You must submit all coursework and attend all examinations and assessments
  • If you are a PhD/Doctorate course, you must attend monthly supervision meetings
  • If you are on a work placement: you must attend your work placement in full and notify your employer if you will be absent for any reason. The University will contact your employer every month to check your attendance
  • You must attend International Registration Events when invited by email

Failure to engage fully with your studies may lead to your withdrawal from your course. If so, your visa would become invalid and you would have to leave the UK immediately.

The University's responsibilities as your Tier 4 Sponsor

The University must:

  • ensure all international students have valid permission to study
  • keep up-to-date copies of all international students' passports and visas
  • hold up-to-date contact details for students including home address, term-time address, email address and phone number(s)
  • monitor all Tier 4 students' engagement with their studies, including submission of assessments and coursework
  • withdraw any student who fails to satisfactorily engage with their studies and report their details to UKVI
  • notify UKVI of any Tier 4 student who:
  • fails to enrol
  • defers their study to a later date
  • suspends their study, takes a break in study or temporarily withdraws
  • transfers to a different course
  • starts a work placement as part of their course
  • completes their course earlier than originally expected
  • withdraws or is excluded for any reason
  • changes to a different immigration category

You may also download this information in our leaflet:

Requesting an Authorised Absence

You must notify your faculty urgently if you need to be absent from study for any reason. You may be able to request an Authorised Absence for a short period without affecting your visa. If you need a longer break, you may need to suspend your studies and return at a later date.

Work restrictions and work placements

Your Tier 4 visa permits you to work part-time in addition to your studies. However, you must never work more than 20-hours-per-week during term-time or more than 10-hours-per-week if studying a pre-sessional English course. This applies to any type of work, whether it is paid or unpaid. Before starting any part-time role, you must obtain a letter confirming your visa status and your permission to work in the UK, to give to your employer. Please contact your faculty to request this.

Does your course include a work placement?

If so, you must provide your faculty Placement / Employability Team with details of the start and end dates of your placement and the employer's contact details before you start your work placement. You must attend your work placement in full and always notify your employer if you will be absent for any reason.

Who to contact for advice and support

Pre-sessional English / TESOL students

Undergraduate or Postgraduate students

PhD/Doctoral students

Further support

Further information