Are international students covered by the NHS?

Students from the EU should have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which entitles you to free NHS treatment.

  • Non-EEA students studying on courses of less than 6 months' duration are not eligible for free NHS treatment and must take out private health insurance.
  • Non-EEA students studying on courses longer than 6 months are required to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge to benefit from free NHS treatment. The surcharge is paid as part of your visa application and costs £150 per year (this also includes £150 for each dependant). For further information and to pay the fee, please visit

Please refer to the UKCISA website for more information.

Related topics: 
Total votes: 287
How useful was this page?