Specialist support for refugee and asylum seeker students

At Sheffield Hallam we provide specialist support to refugee and asylum seeker students due to the additional challenges you face which can have considerable impact on your educational experiences and outcomes.

Nominated Specialist Adviser for refugees and asylum seeker students - Helen Paskins

You can contact the nominated specialist adviser for refugee and asylum seeker students by emailing: internationalexperience@shu.ac.uk.

Mentoring Scheme

We run a mentoring scheme, Culture Connect, which matches you up with an experienced undergraduate for a semester, who will guide you through University processes and life as a student in Sheffield

Additional Funding

Refugee students are a priority group for the Student Success Scholarship. As a refugee student starting on an undergraduate course of study for the first time in September 2017 or later, you will be eligible to receive an award of up to £2,000 for each year of your course as part of our Student Success Scholarship, plus a non-financial support package which has been designed to support your wellbeing, develop your employability, and enhance your money management skills (eligibility conditions apply).

Academic Support

During your studies you will be assigned an Academic Adviser. You can discuss your academic, personal and professional development with them. They will be available to support you through every level of your study, including placements and heading into employment.

Student Wellbeing

The Student Wellbeing Service can help to support your psychological wellbeing in order for you to manage your studies and make the most of university life. The service provides access to self-help resources, offers wellbeing appointments and can direct you to specialist support if required. Contact them by telephone on 0114 225 2136 or email student.wellbeing@shu.ac.uk.

Immigration Advice for refugees and asylum seeker students

The International Experience Team can signpost you to local organisations and solicitors who give advice and assistance with immigration applications, such as applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Any immigration solicitor you choose should be registered either with ILPA (Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association) or OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner).

Refugee Family Reunion Clinic

The Sheffield Hallam University Refugee Family Reunion Service supports individual refugees who wish to be reunited with family members they have been forced to leave behind. The Clinic is based at: Helena Kennedy Centre for International Justice.

Sheffield Hallam University, 1st Floor Heart of the Campus Building. You must book an appointment beforehand by calling 07876447988. The Clinic is open on Mondays and Wednesdays. You can read more about the Refugee Family Reunion scheme here: gov.uk/settlement-refugee-or-humanitarian-protection/family-reunion.