Free and discounted software
Please ask at a library Helpdesk or contact IT Help if you are having problems with any SHU software.
All SHU students can download Microsoft Office 365 for free, which you can install on up to 5 Windows PCs or Macs for the duration of your study.
Please ensure that your SHU IT account has been fully activated and security questions have been set up before you download it. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
SHU has an agreement with Microsoft which offers free software for home use, including a full copy of Windows 10 Professional for life. You need to register with your @student.shu.ac.uk email address and a different password from the one you use to log in at SHU. This email address includes your name, not your student number (but mail comes into the same mailbox). Check emails sent by your course administrator to identify the address, or ask at a helpdesk / email email@example.com.
SPSS / Nvivo
These packages can both be requested from IT Help. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- your full name
- student or staff number
- which operating system you're using (Mac OS, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10).
- If you just need a licence renewal code, please let us know which version of SPSS/Nvivo you have.
You will receive a reply to your email containing the download links and licence code. If you need help downloading, installing and licensing this software, you can visit an IT Help point.
- Adobe's Education Solutions - Adobe products at reduced prices
- Apple Store - discounted Apple products and free delivery on Macs
- PUGH - Adobe and Microsoft packages
- Software4Students - software deals and discounts
- Studica - discounts on academic technology products; especially good for graphics and games design software
The University does not sell anti-virus software but we recommend you read our guidelines relating to staying virus-free.