Taking a language as an elective module
First, take a look at the languages available for you to choose from. You choose a language elective during your module choice period in the same way as you choose your other modules. Please note:
- If you choose your electives through My Student Record you will receive an email confirming your choice together with a link to the registration form.
- If you choose your electives through Google docs or an alternative method you will be emailed the online registration form from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a level 6 student you have to select a language at stage 2 or higher; entry requirements are a GCSE grade 4/5/C in the last THREE years or SHU ULS stage 1 pass (or equivalent). You cannot begin at stage 1 in your final year.
You must disclose all relevant qualifications, prior learning and experience in your chosen language; we use this information to attach you to the appropriate stage (level).
Until you complete the online registration form fully you have not registered to study a language as an elective module in 2019/20.
If you don't complete the form by 12 noon on Friday 22nd March 2019 an alternative elective will be added to your record instead.
You will not be able to change this elective.
What to expect
- Language classes are taught in small seminar groups (maximum 23 students) by qualified, experienced and enthusiastic tutors, supported by individual support from our native speaker language assistants in French, German, Italian and Spanish.
- There is one 2 hour seminar per week with additional self-study activities.
- It is essential that you attend all classes. We also recommend 4 hours private study per week in addition to your class time.
- All assessment is coursework based and completed within teaching weeks.
- We have a wide range of digital and audio self-access study resources in a dedicated language learning area.
- We also hold social events to meet other learners and become part of our exciting language learning community.
- All language classes take place at City Campus.
- ULS language electives start in semester 1 and continue into semester 2, with the same language at the same ULS stage.
You cannot 'try and test' language modules. Language modules are academic study in the same way as all your other modules. The University Language Scheme (ULS) is extremely popular and spaces are limited. It is not possible to start a language module and then decide to change to an alternative one without an exceptional reason.
ULS registrations are subject to availability, timetabling and course constraints. We will always do our best to accommodate your language study but we recommend that you state a second preferred language to give us greater possibility of accommodating your preferred language into your course timetable.
Occasionally there are times when we cannot do this because of one or more of the above constraints. In this situation the University timetabling department will advise your Faculty Student Services team who should then contact you to make an alternative choice.