You will only be charged a fine
- if you don't return an item that has been requested by someone else
- if your library account expires and you still have items out on loan
- if you reach the maximum number of auto-renewals (52 weeks)
Fines are charged at £2 per day on the overdue items. This applies to every day of the week, including weekends, but not University closure days. The maximum fine per item is £20.
If you owe £30 or more in fines, you will be unable to borrow or request any more items.
5 days to return books
If a book you have out on loan is requested by another borrower, you will have 5 days from the due date to return it before incurring fines. Books returned on the 6th day will include fines from days 1-5.
If you have any concerns about fines on your account then please contact us.
Fines on library laptops are charged at £5 per day or part of a day, up to a maximum of £60. There is no return period for laptops; they must be returned on their due date.
There are several ways you can pay any fines.
- Online - sign in to My Library Account, login to shuspace and go to the dashboard on My SHU tab, or go directly to https://payments.shu.ac.uk
- In person - pay at the library Helpdesk by cash or credit/debit card
- On the phone - 0114 225 3333 (option 3) during Helpdesk staffed hours and pay with a credit/debit card