Can I do my placement overseas?

Yes, you may complete a placement overseas. Our short tutorial (right) provides a useful introduction to studying or working abroad.

If you would like to take a placement in an EU country you can apply for Erasmus funding.

If you are thinking about taking a placement outside of the EU you should research the country you plan to visit to ensure it is safe to travel to. More information about working overseas can be found on Careers Central.

It's also worth looking at the Cantor Global Mobility Bursary Scheme. The scheme provides students with an opportunity to apply for a flexible bursary of up to £1000 to cover travel costs, accommodation and living expenses for the duration of the period of work experience.

Provided your home country does not have restrictions on length of study, you will also be able to complete your placement year in your home country.

If you have already been approved for an international exchange you will need to complete the International Exchange pre-departure online course. The course contains important information and advice to help you prepare for your semester or year abroad.

International students

Your study visa would normally cover you for your placement year as long as it is part of your course and you have not had a break in study or have been referred. The International Experience Team will be able to help you with visa queries.

Related topics: