Can I claim course related expenses?

Expenses for course and living costs are generally covered in the funding you receive from Student Finance, the NHS, or the National College of Teaching and Leadership. Some courses, like the BA in Social Work, have bursaries attached, where part of the grant is intended to reimburse students for travelling expenses.

Placement students

If you are on the placement year of a sandwich course, you should be paid as a salaried employee. If you are on the new variable fees scheme, the tuition fee is £1,800 for the placement year. This fee is currently being waived by Sheffield Hallam University.

If your course incurs higher travel or accommodation costs than those incurred during daily travel from your term-time residence to the University, you may be entitled to help towards your expenses while on clinical placement.

If you are studying an ITT course, and would like to find out if you can get help towards your placement expenses please visit the Placement Portal (you will need to register first).

Faculty specific information

More information relating to placements can be found on your faculty pages:

If you need any advice please contact Student Funding and Access Support on, or phone 0114 225 2184

Related topics: 
Total votes: 378
How useful was this page?