Academic Advising

All students at Sheffield Hallam University are allocated an Academic Adviser. They are a personal named contact and first point of reference for questions about your course.

University study is an experience that transforms lives, and your Academic Adviser is there to support your academic, personal and professional development. They will provide advice about how to improve your academic performance and can also provide general advice about how to get the most out of your time as a student.

Your Academic Adviser will contact you early in the academic year to see how you are settling in.

Your Academic Adviser will also:

  • work with you to review your progress and encourage you to develop skills for employability.
  • listen to issues affecting your studies and support you in dealing with problems that may hinder your academic progress. They are not always the best person to support you and so they may refer you on to specialist services. 
  • provide you with contact details so that you can contact them should you need to see them.

If you don’t know who your Academic Adviser is contact your Course Leader.

Watch our animation of students talking about how their Academic Adviser helped them below:


Related topics: