Student Wellbeing provides a range of self-help resources online and at our City Campus reception. If you prefer to work with hard copy and are not able to print the resources off, copies of many of the online materials, as well as a small collection of books, are available on loan from Student Wellbeing Reception.
Big White Wall
Big White Wall is a safe online community of people who are anxious, down or not coping, who support and help each other by sharing what’s troubling them, guided by trained professionals. It can help you start to take control and get the support you need to feel better. Available 24/7, Big White Wall's professionally trained Wall Guides ensure the safety and anonymity of all members, so you can express yourself freely and openly. Here are just a few of the ways it can help:
- Post a Talkabout - talk to other Big White Wall members who may be experiencing the same thing as you
- Create a Brick - express your feelings by creating a Brick using pictures and images
- Assess Yourself - take assessments to set goals and track your progress
- Find Useful Stuff - with over 200 articles on Big White Wall, you can understand more about how you are feeling
- Join a Program - register for online guided support courses using recognized therapies
- Make Friends - connect with other Big White Wall members who feel like you so you can support each other.
Join using your SHU email address. This is purely to validate your status as a Hallam student - the University does not receive data on who has registered.
Other online resources
Student Wellbeing practitioners recommend selected guides and external sources of local and national support on our self-help page. You will see some series cover a range of topics and we have also listed some useful resources grouped by theme e.g. anxiety, bereavement, carers and more.