How is my degree calculated?

Our Award Classification Tools are designed to help you understand what award you might be able to achieve. Please note:

  • An accurate outcome may not be calculated for courses that have exemptions to the Standard Assessment Regulations, so please check your course to see whether any exemptions apply.
  • Make sure you read the instructions!
  • You can access your results transcript on My Student Record.
  • If your final average mark falls between classification boundaries, borderline rules will be used to determine which classification will be awarded. This information is displayed in red at the side of the classification calculation for each method. For full information and example calculations please refer to regulation 11 of the Standard Assessment Regulations.
  • If you have any queries about how your degree is calculated please contact your Faculty Student Services team (details via your faculty channel).

The tools are for indicative purposes only and do not predict the award that you will achieve. They do not guarantee that you will be awarded the classification calculated. We cannot take responsibility for any inaccuracies in calculations.

UG awards Integrated Masters tool Pg awards tool

How your undergraduate degree is calculated

We normally use two different methods to calculate your final average mark. The highest average mark from these two calculations is used to determine your award classification.

  • Method 1 uses the best 100 marked credits that you have achieved at level 5 and 6. It calculates your final average mark by using 25% of the overall weighted average of level 5, and 75% of the overall weighted average of level 6
  • Method 2 uses the best 100 marked credits that you have achieved at level 6. It calculates your final average mark by using the overall weighted average of level 6

If you have not got at least 100 credits that are marked by a percentage mark, the following 2 methods will be used in place of methods 1 and 2 above. The method which results in the best classification and overall average will be automatically selected:

  • Alternative method 1 uses all marked credits that you have achieved at level 5 and 6. It calculates your final average mark by using 25% of the overall weighted average of level 5, and 75% of the overall weighted average of level 6
  • Alternative method 2 uses all marked credits that you have achieved at level 6. It calculates your final average mark by using the overall weighted average of level 6.

How your Integrated Masters degree is calculated

We normally use two different methods to calculate your final average mark. The highest average mark from these two calculations is used to determine your award classification.

  • Method 1 uses the best 100 marked credits that you have achieved at level 6 and 7. It calculates your final average mark by using 25% of the overall weighted average of level 6, and 75% of the overall weighted average of level 7.
  • Method 2 uses the best 100 marked credits that you have achieved at level 5, 6 and 7. It calculates your final average mark by using 20% of the overall weighted average of level 5, 30% of the overall weighted average of level 6, and 50% of the overall weighted average of level 7.

If you have not got at least 100 credits that are marked by a percentage mark, the following 2 methods will be used in place of methods 1 and 2 above. The method which results in the best classification and overall average will be automatically selected:

  • Alternative method 1 uses all marked credits that you have achieved at level 6 and 7. It calculates your final average mark by using 25% of the overall weighted average of level 6, and 75% of the overall weighted average of level 7.
  • Alternative method 2 uses all marked credits that you have achieved at level 5, 6 and 7. It calculates your final average mark by using 20% of the overall weighted average of level 5, 30% of the overall weighted average of level 6, and 50% of the overall weighted average of level 7.

How your Masters degree is calculated

Your award is calculated using all level 7 modules that are marked on a percentage basis and have had credit awarded.

Related topics: 
Total votes: 204
How useful was this page?